The purpose of the College Stage 1 MMR course is to prepare candidates for the AACP Stage 2 assessment which ultimately leads to accreditation as a consultant pharmacist in Australia.
The course must be completed within 12 months of the materials being received, however, it is possible to complete it within 3 months.
The course assessment involves completion of 2 practice case studies and 3 assessment questions. The learner will receive comprehensive feedback from an experienced accredited pharmacist. The feedback is intended to help the learner prepare for submission of the case study assessment for the stage 2 course. The comprehensive feedback is highly valued by the many pharmacists who have already completed the College Stage 1 MMR course.
The course is composed of 8 online modules covering everything from interviewing the patient, to motivating them to change behaviours, to reviewing their medications, formulating a management plan and communicating your plan to the referring doctor. Some clinical knowledge and skills necessary for completing medication reviews is also covered. A bonus module covers how you can engage doctors and other health professionals to build your MMR service.
On completion of this course, the candidate should be able to demonstrate their ability to:
- note the key criteria required for case study assessment.
- recognise and access high-quality medication information resources.
- discuss the principles of privacy and patient consent and how they relate to conducting an MMR.
- learn how to communicate effectively with patients, carers, general practitioners and other healthcare professionals.
- apply in-depth knowledge of the comprehensive medication review process, using appropriate tools.
- learn how to take a medication history.
- describe principles in motivating and facilitating behavioural change.
- implement strategies to improve patient adherence to medication regimens and lifestyle changes.
- counsel patients to promote self-management of their medicines (where appropriate).
- discuss principles of achieving skills to identify, resolve and prevent actual or potential medication-related problems.
The bonus module "Building your MMR service" has the following learning objective:
- To discuss the principles of achieving collaborative working relationships with GPs, community pharmacists and other members of the healthcare team.
The completion of the course requirements will enable the candidate to proceed to the Stage 2 course of the AACP accreditation process. The course is accredited for 26 group 2 CPD credits upon successful completion of the case studies and assessment questions.