Format: Live webinar
Speaker: Dr David Pache
Time and Date: 7:00pm (AEST - Brisbane) Tuesday, 27 October 2020
Cost: Complimentary for ACP Members / $49 for non-members
From June 2021, pharmacists will be able to recommend 2mg modified release melatonin tablets for insomnia in people aged 55 years and over, for the first time.
The Australasian College of Pharmacy has invited Dr David Pache, a pharmacist who studied melatonin for his PhD, to introduce pharmacists to the concepts they need to understand in order to effectively recommend melatonin in this patient population.
This webinar is designed to complement two CPD activities, written by Dr David Pache, which are set for release in the AJP in November and December.
After attending this webinar, pharmacists should be able to:
- Outline the physiological function of melatonin related to the sleep/wake cycle
- Explain the changes in melatonin activity with age
- Explain how to use melatonin for insomnia
- Explain why melatonin might not be improving insomnia
- Outline the concepts of melatonin use for jetlag
- Explain the difference between immediate release versus controlled release formulations
- Compare S3 melatonin to homeopathic melatonin
CPD Credits Available
This activity has been accredited for 1.0 hour of Group 1 CPD (or 1.0 CPD credits) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan which can be converted to 1.0 hr of Group 2 CPD (or 2.0 CPD credits) upon successful completion of relevant assessment activities. Pharmacist competencies (2016): 3.2, 3.3, 3.5, 3.6. Accreditation Number: A2011MACP12