After completing this activity, pharmacists should be able to:
- discuss the prevalence of osteoporosis;
- identify the risk factors for osteoporosis;
- list medications that may increase the risk of decreased bone mineral density;
- provide practical counselling on nutrition, exercise and lifestyle relevant to bone health;
- identify the role of calcium and vitamin D as preventative therapy and concomitant therapy for those receiving osteoporosis treatment;
- discuss the various treatments available.
The 2016 Competency Standards addressed by this activity include: 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.5, 3.6, 5.3
Accreditation number: CX19023 Accreditation expires: 01/06/2021
This activity has been accredited for 2.0 hours of Group One CPD (or 2.0 CPD credits) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan, which may be converted to 2.0 hours of Group Two CPD (or 4.0 CPD credits) upon successful completion of the associated assessment activity.