After completing this activity, pharmacists should be able to:
1. explain the importance of pharmacovigilance in the context of the overall healthcare system;
2. discuss the key factors that influence adverse drug reaction (ADR) reporting by healthcare professionals;
3. describe the strengths and weaknesses of a spontaneous ADR reporting system;
4. explain the role of the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) in monitoring the safety of medicines and encouraging healthcare professionals to report ADRs in Australia;
5. describe the various ADR reporting methods available to healthcare professionals in Australia.
The 2016 Competency Standards addressed by this activity include: 1.5, 1.6, 3.3, 3.5, 4.2
Accreditation number: A1812AJP1 Accreditation expires: 01/12/2020
This activity has been accredited for 0.5 hour of Group One CPD (or 0.5 CPD credit) suitable for inclusion in an individual pharmacist’s CPD plan, which may be converted to 0.5 hour of Group Two CPD (or 1.0 CPD credits) upon successful completion of the associated assessment activity.